One of the eye openers about China is the number of ethnic Chinese people who live outside China. Some notable numbers from Wikipedia:
- The United States has 3 million Chinese, of whom 2 million claim not to speak English “very well”.
- Canada has 1.3 million ethnic Chinese – almost 4% of the population
- In Australia and New Zealand the Chinese population is around 2.5% of the total population
- France and the United Kingdom each have around 300,000 ethnic Chinese people
- Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia have a combined Chinese population of 22.8 million. As they tend to be more wealthy than their non-Chinese neighbours, that’s quite a nice market.
That looks like quite a few valuable niches to market to.